Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Food, Art, and Market

My folks came to visit this past weekend. A fairly big deal since they hardly ever come. And we showed them parts of Richmond that they had never experienced before. Somewhat of a risk, but I think they enjoyed it.

We enjoyed Torraine Sauvignon Blanc, Whiskey Smash, and Sunday Paper at Acacia. The tiny bar alcove was free for relaxing and catching up on news of all of my relatives.

We then traveled to ArtWorks for the All Media Show reception. I have a couple of photos on display. It had been quite some time since they had been on that end of Hull St.

We had dinner at Avenue 805. Veal Picccata; Veal Saltimbacco; Ribeye Steak; and Crab, Scallop, and Shrimp Cake with a 2003 Lan Rioja Riserva.

Wonderful veal served with housemade pasta and marinara. My mom raved about the seafood cake. Very good. The ribeye looked overcooked to me and not as appealing as the other dishes. The restaurant was very hot. But prices were reasonable and the wine, divine.

The next morning we visited the South of the James Market. Wonderful as always (but extremely hot!).

Then on to the Virginia Museum to look at stuff - both old and new. We met my sister for lunch at Amuse. The L'Ecole No. 41 Syrah was very tasty as well as the polenta fries, hangar steak, tuna tartar and avocado, and crab cake. And the service seemed to have gone up a notch.

We then went to the special Tiffany exhibit. My favorite part was discovering how the studio made the stained glass pieces so three dimensional though layering and folding glass.

My other favorite part was looking at the favorite art work that my nephews and niece picked out. All different. All intriguing. All contemporary.

It was a good visit.

No comments: