Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Splash of Orange

Yesterday, I performed numerous food-related errands. First up was the Byrd House Market. Mike Wiblin from Hanover Farms (my go to farmer) continues to have the sweetest, most tasty zucchini around. Needless to say, I bought zucchini as well as some nice looking cherry tomatoes (they actually look like baby Romas). I also purchased some chive and garlic goat cheese from Faith Farms. From other producers I picked up a blue/black bell pepper, red skinned potatoes, and white corn. From there I popped up to the Belmont Butchery for ground veal and chuck for hamburgers for the 4th of July and a couple of bone-in pork chops for dinner. On my way home I stopped by Sammy’s Bakery for a baguette. This guy has the best baguettes in town. I was tired, hot, and thirsty. And Once Upon a Vine had what I needed – a bottle of Grandin Brut. This sparkling wine from the Loire Valley is crisp and dry and it was uncorked as soon as I got home. But on this day it was missing something. I decided it was missing a splash of Cointreau. The slight orange flavor added just the right touch for a refreshing late afternoon cocktail. And spurred me on to fix dinner: pan seared pork chops stuffed with fresh sage and Fiore Sardo (pecorino cheese); red skinned potato salad with sour cream, whole grain mustard, salt, pepper, fresh chives and marjoram; and zucchini sautéed in olive oil and thyme.

No comments: