Saturday, March 03, 2007

Farfalle with Roasted Shallots, Peppers, & Sausage

Farfalle with Roasted Shallots, Peppers, and Sausage

  • 6-7 shallots, peeled and cut in half length-wise (through the root)
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut in half and deseeded
  • ½ pound Italian-style sausage link (I used a Tuscan pork sausage with basil and sundried tomatoes from The Belmont Butchery)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6-8 ounces farfalle (bow tie pasta), cooked to your preferred doneness
  • Grated sharp Italian cheese (I used an aged Provolone)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an oven-proof dish pour in the olive oil. Add shallots and stir to coat. Place peppers in same dish, skin side up. Put in oven and roast for about 45 minutes, turning/stirring every 15 minutes. The shallots should be very soft and the skin of the peppers should be easy to remove. While the vegetables are roasting, place the sausage in another oven-proof dish and roast for about 30 minutes. The sausage should be firm (not squishy) when done. In the meantime cook your pasta in salted boiling water and drain. When the sausage and veggies are done, peel the skin off of the peppers, cut everything up into bite size pieces, and put into a bowl big enough to also hold the pasta. Add the cooked pasta and sprinkle the grated cheese. Mix together and serve.

What a yummy dish! I had roasted vegetables before, but had never cooked sausage in the oven. I can thank Tanya at The Belmont Butchery for this suggestion. The Tuscan sausage came in a braid. While I wanted to try it, I wasn’t sure that I could pan-fry it and ensure that the meat was done. And I did not want to boil the sausage. She suggested that I roast it. Oh, what a delicious idea.

2 comments:

Staff said...

Great post, please consider submitting it to The Carnival of Virginia.

pjpink said...

Hey Richmond Dem! Thanks for the suggestion. I have submitted it.