Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Salsa & Chips

Tis the season for Bowl Games. And while I believe college football should implement a playoff system, I also believe a football game should have good food.

Bowl Game Salsa

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 tablespoons onion, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 cup corn, cut fresh from the cob (if you can’t get it fresh, use frozen white corn)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
Salt
Pepper

Sauté corn in peanut oil for a few minutes to desired tenderness. Place in serving bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or make your own…

Quick Tortilla Chips

Flour or corn tortillas
Peanut or olive oil
Salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stack tortillas 3 high on a cutting board. Cut into strips using a pizza cutter. Place strips on baking sheet. Brush each strip with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Bake until slightly brown. Serve with salsa.

2 comments:

RVA Foodie said...

PJ, I have recently learned to make tortillas and have been trying to figure out more uses for them. A devotee of chips and salsa, why didn't I think of making tortilla chips? Well, I didn't think I could just bake them. Wow. As soon as I get back from Mexico, that's my next task. Keep an eye on my blog for updates from that trip.

pjpink said...

I can't wait to hear about your trip and food adventures. I've only been to Cancun, but, while there, I had the most incredible lime laced lobster. And it was from some hole-in-the-wall place on the beach!