Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sandwiches for Dinner

Tonight dinner will be fairly simple, but (hopefully) very yummy. We are having sandwiches! Okay, not your average sandwich. I had some proscuitto languishing in the refrigerator. Shame on me! Proscuitto should never ever languish. Anyway I stopped by The Metro Bakery and procured a loaf of peasant bread. I then trotted over to Ellwood Thompson's and picked up a red bell pepper, about 1/3 of a pound of fresh mozzarella, and a head of garlic. When I arrived home I resisted the temptation to break into the bread. I consoled myself with a glass of 2002 J. Garcia Merlot. I roasted the pepper over a gas stove burner. Upon cooling, I skinned it, got rid of the seeds, and cut it into delectable strips. I peeled one clove of garlic, cut it into little chunks, placed it in the bottom of a mortar, added a little salt, and pestled the garlic to a juicy pulp. I went outside and snipped a few fresh basil sprigs, and chiffonaded the leaves (about 1 tablespoon). The leaves and pulped garlic were placed in a little bowl. I then drizzled olive oil (about a teaspoon) into the bowl and mixed thoroughly. Okay prep over. Time to savor more wine...

When my hubby arrives home, I'll slice the bread and assemble the sandwich. Of course, the basil mixture will be brushed over the bread. I haven't decided what will go next. In any case proscuitto and roasted red pepper will be laid on and then sliced fresh mozzarella. The sandwich halves will be placed in a pan on top of a rack (I want the bread crust to become crispy) and popped into a 450 degree oven until the cheese is nicely melted. We generally eat these concoctions open faced.

No comments: