Sunday, July 22, 2007

Fresh Corn and Zucchini Sauté

This summer I have reveled in zucchini and now sweet corn is making its way onto my dinner plates. I decided to put the two together as a yummy side dish.

Fresh Corn and Zucchini Sauté

3 small zucchinis, diced

Fresh white corn kernels sliced from 5 ears of corn

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Salt and pepper to taste

Dice up the zucchinis about an hour before cooking. Place the diced zucchini on a paper towel in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with another paper towel and let sit until ready to use. The salt will dry out the water and any bitterness in the zucchini. Place the butter in a pan. Place the corn kernels in the pan, sprinkle with the cumin. Sauté the corn on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently (more or less depending on how cooked you like your corn). Add salt and pepper, to taste, and stir. Add the zucchini and sauté for 5-10 minutes (again, depending on how cooked you like your zucchini). Serve immediately.

1 comment:

RVA Foodie said...

I just stumbled across this by pulling up the food "tag" at RVABlogs.com. How convenient a feature.

Anyhow, by coincidence, last night I made this very dish without a recipe. I just happened to have the two veggies and I needed a pile of something to serve my pan-seared grouper on top of. Oh, and there was an to-die-for roasted poblano cream sauce (roasted garlic and poblanos pureed with milk and masa to thicken and then whisked over med heat).

Anyhow, the saute that you describe was the perfect foundation for my protein and fiery latino gravy.

Cheers.