Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Herb Roasted T Bone Steak

Last night I roasted a T bone steak for my husband and myself to share. Probably the best steak I have ever cooked (and I do a good job with steaks). First of all I purchased a big honking T Bone from The Fresh Market. When I got home I minced up one garlic clove and mixed it with a few sprigs of fresh oregano (chopped). Then I added this Hawaiian black sea salt that I found a couple of weeks ago at Sur La Table. I then drizzled extra virgin olive oil over the mix (maybe two teaspoons) and stirred to incorporate. The herb mixture was rubbed all over the steak and placed in the refrigerator for about an hour. The wait afforded me the opportunity to pop open a bottle of Cray Brut 2001 Montlouis sparkling wine and mix it with a little cherry juice (the joys of cool refreshment on a stifling hot evening). A glass or two later, I took the steak out of the fridge and let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes or so. I also turned the oven on to 450 degrees. In a frying pan (good enough to go into a hot oven) I placed a tiny dab of olive oil and turned the burner to medium high. When the pan became hot, in went the steak to sear, about 3 minutes per side. I then placed the pan and steak in the oven and roasted the steak for about 25 minutes. Carefully, using potholders (I had a run-in with a hot handle from the oven a few months ago), I took the pan out and placed it back on the burner and turned the burner to medium. Into the pan I poured about 1/2 cup of the sparkling wine and deglazed the pan and boiled the herby liquid down to a sauce consistency. I split the T bone with hubby and poured the sauce over the steaks. The flavors melded into each other divinely. For sides I prepared baked potatoes with chive sour cream and sauteed green beans with shallots. Because we knew we had something special going for the steak we pulled out a special bottle of red - 1994 Dry Creek Vineyard 25th Anniversary Cabernet Sauvignon. We both decided that the garnet nectar was at its drinking peak. Lots of body, the tanins had eased off, and the rich fruit burst through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»