Monday, March 24, 2008

Frisee aux Lardons

I fixed the most wonderful salad for dinner tonight – Frisee aux Lardons. I had stopped by The Fresh Market to pick up something for dinner. As usual, I had no clue what I wanted. I strolled by the produce to look at the lettuce. I glimpsed a picked over section that did not appeal whatsoever. I glanced up and spied the frisee. The brain clicked. I had bacon at home as well as these very cute and tiny fresh-from-the-chicken eggs. I knew I could whip up a bit of vinaigrette, as well. And, thus, I proceeded to go home and produce this awesome salad.

Frisee aux Lardons

2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 head frisee, loosely chopped
3 slices of thick slab bacon, chopped
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Make the vinaigrette by whisking the white balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a medium-sized bowl. Add the frisee and toss. Fry up the chopped bacon (or lardons) in a non-stick pan. Remove lardons when crispy and set aside. Fry the eggs over easy in the bacon grease, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Assemble the salad. Divide the frisee into two salad bowls. Sprinkle the lardons on top. Lay the eggs over the salad and serve.

I love the contrasts of textures and tastes with this salad. Up until now, I had only ordered it in restaurants. I’m so glad I took the chance to actually make this seductively simple dish. The flavors are subtle enough to enjoy with a decent red wine.

1 comment:

Veron said...

The hubby and I love frisee! We always get a a head of it in Fresh market when there are nice looking ones. Our favorite dressing for it is lemon and hazelnut oil. I could just imagine the lardons on this...pretty yummy!