Sunday, March 30, 2008

Kitchen Renovation Saga Part 7

And you thought we might have finished by now. Oh ye of vast quantities of optimism. No, we are not through, although we did begin looking at kitchen cabinets back in July. Many obstacles were flung in our way. A few were self-induced, others, not so much. A couple of things that we did accomplish included finding a fantastic light for the hall from a shop in downtown Staunton.


And framing our gigantic 4 ½ foot by 6 foot picture window in a charming grapevine motif.


Yesterday, we also picked up all of the cabinet pieces and parts from Ikea (thanks in large part to our friends R and K who have a truck!). The boxes are now stacked up and waiting to be opened. My hubby estimates it will take him 6 days (3 weekends) to get them installed. We’ll see. For us everything takes longer than expected. It is now a running joke. Of course, cabinets are just the beginning. We have yet to pick out countertops. And, admittedly, I am in a quandary. I do not want concrete or laminate. I’m not sure if I like granite. The shiny surface does not feel right to me. Corian or Silestone may work, but the colors I gravitate towards are on the high end of the scale. Are there other alternatives? I have never been impressed with Lowe’s or Home Depot regarding special orders, so who should we engage?

If you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

No comments: