Thursday, December 20, 2007

Easy Cranberry Sauce

Around Thanksgiving and Christmas, cranberry sauce returns to my thoughts. Could it be the recipes in all of the food magazines or maybe the prominent display of the bags of Ocean Spray fresh cranberries? I’ve used recipes in the past, but this year I decided to simplify this required holiday table relish.

Easy Cranberry Sauce

  • 1 cup of fresh cranberries (The Fresh Market has their own “cranberry bog” where you can scoop up as much or as little as you desire. I love this feature!)
  • 1 large gala apple, peeled and cut up into chunks (I prefer big chunks to preserve the integrity of the fruit)
  • ¾ cup ruby port (or Riesling or other sweetish wine or water with as much sugar as you desire. And I just thought of something else; if you want a bit of an orange flavor, add orange juice!)

Put all ingredients into a pot. Turn burner on medium high to get the mixture to boil, then turn down to a simmer. Stir frequently and burst the cranberries as they soften. Keep simmering until the liquid begins to evaporate and the mixture begins to gel. Serve warm or cold.

So easy and versatile! My sauce can be very tart (but I like it that way). When I made this at my mother-in-law’s I added a ½ cup of sugar. I don’t need mine spiced up with cinnamon, etc., but if that’s what you like, add it in. If you want a smoother sauce, chop the apple into smaller chunks so they cook down and are incorporated into the sauce. This sauce also can be used as a spread for turkey sandwiches or a jelly for toast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had some leftover cranberry sauce after Thanksgiving and used it to add flavor to chicken salad. It was awesome!