Sunday, August 22, 2010

La Chaumiere

Today - it's cloudy and muggy. I'm doing laundry. My cat threw up on the tablecloth in my dining room - more laundry to do.

Since today is not so great, I'll reminisce about dinner last Friday at La Chaumiere in Georgetown.


A classic French restaurant with a rustic charm. We are suckers for these type of places, especially my husband. While we saw a few other tempting boites, we could look no further once we perused the menu.

The interior, bedecked with half-timbered walls, ancient jars of preserved fruits, crisp white tablecloths, and wooden farmhouse chairs, made us feel cozy and comfortable. We were casually dressed and no one batted an eyelash.

The wine list contained many tempting French reds, but in the end we ordered a 2007  Owen Roe Ex Umbris Syrah from Washington State. Lovely.


As an appetizer I ordered one of the specials - smoked trout with radishes, capers, and seaweed salad. I did not think the trout and the seaweed salad paired well, but individually, they were phenomenal.


Hubby tried the baked, stuffed oysters. An unusual choice for him - he generally only eats the fried variety, He liked them very much.

For the main course, I had to order the duck breast with black current sauce accompanied by wild rice and veggies. This duck had a huge breast - all good. The sauce was the right balance of fruit and pan juices. I also liked the addition of the wild rice. A bit of a nutty side dish that paired well with the meat and sauce.


My spouse had the medallions of beef with a red wine sauce. The dish came with three medallions, progressing from almost medium well to medium rare  (a bit inconsistent, but because the beef was good, it was acceptable) and very tasty mashed potatoes.

The apps and entrees were so big that I could not contemplate dessert, which was a shame since chocolate souffle was listed (maybe next time). Hubby did have room for an after dinner coffee with creme de coconut.


Our service was attentive, yet unobtrusive, and the food delicious.



La Chaumiere on Urbanspoon

No comments: