Sunday, August 31, 2008

Surry Sausage

Last week my parents and grandmother came up for brunch (and to admire my new stove!). The weather was nice enough to eat outside. Our meal consisted of mimosas, fresh peaches and blackberries, frisee aux lardons, roasted potatoes, Surry sausage, and coffee. A lovely meal.

Have you ever had Surry sausage? These smoked pork sausage links, made right down the road by S. Wallace Edwards and Sons are delightful. We encountered them many years ago while living in Williamsburg. The Grocer's store in Colonial Williamsburg carried them (along with Edwards smoked petite Virginia ham), and we treated ourselves to them on occasion. The Fresh Market also carries them here in Richmond for $4.99 a pound. I usually pan fry my links and eat them plain or sprinkled with Parmesean cheese. But these wonderful local morsels can also add deliciousness to soups, beans, and stews as well.

3 comments:

The Marinara said...

I think the surry sausage is solid. I've had it several times server up next to eggs, but I think I would like to expand and try using it in greens or with some polenta or beans.

pjpink said...

You are so right. I made pinto beans and rice and and threw in some Surry sausage. Delicious!

Shorty said...

My wife replaced the usual Kielbasa with Surry Sausage in her Polish Kapusta (Cabbage). MMMM