Friday, August 29, 2008

From The Barrel Thief to Brazil

Thursday evening and we found ourselves stepping out on the town once again. First of all, I received a last-minute invite from colleagues to join them at The Barrel Thief in Short Pump for wine and nibbles. I had never experienced the place and eagerly accepted. Wines by the glass ranged in price from $6 - $14 (12 choices in all). The best part was the option of tasting up to two wines before choosing what would be imbibed. I loved this feature! I tasted a 2005 Brouilly ($12 a glass) and a 2005 Hess Mt. Veeder Cabernet blend ($9 a glass). In the end I went with the hearty cab (well-deserved after a day at work!) All wines were also available by the bottle.

To nibble we sampled the local mixed green salad with a light lemon basil vinaigrette ($6), roasted garlic white bean dip with crostini ($6), a cheese sampler that featured a soft goat cheese with truffle ($10), and a sliced baguette with extra virgin olive oil and a balsamic reduction for dipping ($2). All yummy. I especially liked the goat cheese. The slice looked a bit like brie with the rind (which I simply cannot eat), but The Thief did not offer anything so offensive, thank goodness.

The Barrel Thief features bread from The Flour Garden and microgreens from Manakintowne Specialty Growers. When I return (with hubby in tow, hopefully) other delectable offerings, besides the wine, include Teriyaki Tenderloin ($14), Serrano Ham and Manchego Panini ($8), and Nutella and Pound Cake Panini ($5). I am now salivating over the opening of the second Thief on Patterson.

After laughter and conversation at The Barrel Thief I hooked up with my spouse and we travelled further north to Ashland Coffee and Tea to hear a wonderful Brazilian jazz group – Quatro na Bossa. Folks – go see them. They are playing a couple of times at Havana ’59 in September. The sultry vocals of Laura Ann Boyd spread an infectiously happy samba fever to the entire audience. We finished the evening with an espresso milkshake.

Yes, I had quite a lovely evening and you are free to be envious.

Barrel Thief on Urbanspoon

No comments: