Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Perfect Evening at Acacia

We found the perfect spot to celebrate the beginning of the weekend and say goodbye to a long week. Acacia. We had no reservations, but the bar turned out to be exactly the spot to be. Last November Arthur mixed up some mighty fine cocktails. Last night Michelle served up our cocktails with truly meticulous care. It was a joy to watch her at her craft, a joy to imbibe, and a joy to eat the wondrous food that Dale Reitzer was dishing out last evening. Yes, perfect.

The great thing about the specialy cocktail list is that it changes up, like the menu. Last night we had a Cherry Whiskey Sour (Wild Turkey, Luxardo, Cherry and Lemon juices) and a Kentucky Tea Party (Loose-leaf Tea, Bourbon, Aperol). The Tea Party had a smokey flavor and I thought it captured the essence of rural Kentucky. The Whiskey Sour was the best ever.

For starters, my hubby had the fried oysters over cole slaw with a spicy mayo. Overall, Richmond serves up some of the best oysters and Acacia's were outstanding. The cole slaw was over the top good, too. I could not pass up the soup - roasted pear, salsify, and parsnip. A perfect blend of fruit and root vegetable with a sprinkling of crisp bacon. After every bite I raved about how delicious it was.

For dinner we ordered a 2005 Château de Ségriès Côtes du Rhône Clos de l'Hermitage. Fairly hearty and showing decent fruit.

My spouse, after much mental debate, decided to order Mahi with sweet potatoes and a pineapple curry sauce and greens. While a bit unusual from his normal entree ordering, he definitely enjoyed the dish. The sauce was sweet, but the greens added a bitter balance. A great taste adventure.

Once I read the entree menu, there was only one thing to order: roasted long island duck breast - stuffed with pear, wrapped with applewood bacon, smoked gouda polenta, balsamic honey sauce. And, oh my god, I am so glad I did! All of the flavors were distinct, but melded together perfectly. Although I am not a huge polenta fan, this soft version wowed me. A hint of cheesy richness that satisfied the palate. And the duck was absolutely perfect. Smokiness from the bacon, a hint of fruit from the pear, and, of course, the breast itself cooked medium.

We were tempted to try the Bourbon Maple Creme Brulee for dessert, but passed and enjoyed Tuaca and coffee with whipped cream and Sambuca.

I had never had the subtly nutty flavor of Tuaca and Michelle let me have a taste of it straight before mixing it with my coffee. I think I have found another after dinner liqueur to add to my cabinet at home. Michelle was also great in letting us look at other bottles on her shelf. Aperol is an orange flavored alcohol. Pisco is kind of like a Peruvian version of grappa. Next time we go we want to try an Acacia-style Dark and Stormy and make sure we watch the making of it. Dark rum and an injection of whipped cream from one of those stainless steel dispensers along with ginger and lime.

What an incredible evening.

Acacia Mid-town on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Loved reading your review - your descriptions made me feel like I was right there. You've prompted me to make a return trip sooner rather than later!