Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tastebuds Sparkling Wine Dinner

In the beginning of December, my husband and I were lucky enough to partake of the Sparkling Wine Tasting Dinner at Tastebuds American Bistro. And all I have to say is that we should have been attending these events a long time ago. What a fabulous evening. Five courses paired with five different sparklings that spanned the globe. And all for $45 a person.

Course 1
Caesar Salad in its Parts with Baby Romaine, Reggiano Flan, and White Anchovy paired with Domaine Charles Bove, France, Brut


This dish was perfect. We loved the flan – very different since it was savory. I was a bit skeptical of the anchovies. While I am warming up to fish, anchovies are another matter. But these little fishes made the dish divine and were the perfect match to the French sparkling brut. Every so often I encounter a wine and food pairing that transports me to foodie nirvana. This combination of Romaine, cheese flan, white anchovies, and dry French bubbly achieved the ultimate in the divine.

Course 2
Goat Cheese Crepe Topped with House Made Gravlax and Sweet Onion and Pear Tart with Prosciutto d’Parma and Crème Fraiche paired with Poema, Spain, Cava

Both offerings were very inventive and tasty. I really liked the onion and pear tart. The Cava sported peach and apple tones.

Course 3
Tuna and Jicama Tartar with Grapefruit Foam and Golden Beet Tartar with Grapefruit Vinaigrette paired with Schumann-Nagler, Germany, Riesling


The grapefruit gracefully added to the pleasure of these dishes. And the sparkling Riesling is one of my favorites (available at Once Upon a Vine).

Course 4
Shrimp Vindaloo with Fried Taro and Carrot-Mango Risotto paired with Canella, Venice, Prosecco


As expected, the shrimp packed a bit of heat and I think the Prosecco enhanced the heat of the dish. Thus, the risotto assisted in cooling the mouth. I appreciated the balance between the two dishes, but this course, while good, was my least favorite.

Course 5
Smoked Pork Tenderloin with Apple-Peppercorn Compote and Beef Tenderloin with Tomato Marmalade paired with The Chook, Australia, Shiraz


Both meats were tasty, but the pork tenderloin really hit a high note. The choice of sparkling red was an excellent choice and could stand up to the stronger flavors of the last dish and added a bit of black cherry and plum to the meal.

Surprise Ending
Fresh Raspberry embedded in a Chocolate Truffle

An excellent ending to a truly wonderful and inspirational dinner.

And during the dinner I discovered that two of the diners at my table actually read this blog! How exciting! I was very flattered and now have a few more local restaurants to try. Thank you for reading!

If you have not been to Tastebuds to eat, please go. The regular menu offers a plethora of deliciousness and the prices are extremely reasonable. We are so lucky to have this culinary gem in Richmond.

Tastebuds on Urbanspoon

No comments: