Sunday, June 14, 2009

Comfort Food - South of the Border Style

Yesterday we were heading over to The Wine Cellar to peruse their offerings. Did you know that John from Anything Wine works there now? Go see him (or any of the rest of their helpful staff).




Anyhoo, we decided to try Chicken Fiesta for lunch. I know, don't rag on me too much. This place has been open for quite a while and everyone has raved about them. Well, we finally made it. The counter person warmly greeted us and since we had not been there before, she had us try a fried yucca while we reviewed the menu. Mmmmm, such crisp, starchy goodness. It was served with a mayo/mustard/garlic sauce (I liked the sauce, hubby did not, but did like the yucca).




I ordered the 1/4 Charcoal Roasted Chicken (dark meat) with rice and fried yucca and had a bottle of Jarritos pineapple soda. The soda was a bit too artificial-tasting for me, but the chicken was comfort food at its best - plain roasted with a crispy skin. I also enjoyed the yellow rice and did I mention how good the fried yucca was??? The chicken also came with a small container of very hot green sauce. Our couterperson made sure we did not mistake it for guacamole as some patrons have done.




My husband tried the Chicken Sandwich with fried yucca. Roasted white meat chicken with your choice of toppings including peppers and onions served on a sub roll. Hubby said that the next time he orders it, he will have it plain to let the chicken shine through.



We were well pleased and even more pleased when we learned that Chicken Fiesta will be opening another roost on Broad in the near future. Yee Haa!


Chicken Fiesta on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Page H. said...

I love chicken fiesta! I just tried their carne asada tacos which were authentic and delicious with soft corn tortillas and freshly chopped cilantro and onion. But their rotisserie chicken is the bomb diggity. It reminds me of the great south american chicken places up in the DC area, like Pollo Rico. I offer up a sauce tip for you, mix the green and white sauces together, the more green you add the spicier it will be.

Janet said...

I love Chicken Fiesta....next time get their iced tea to drink. It's great. They make it with lime and it's a little sweet but not too sweet.

Anonymous said...

oh snap! i eat lunch at chicken fiesta about 3 or 4 times per week! get the ribs or fiesta salad with chicken on top, trust me! wash that all down with a glass of their homemade horchata! be sure to catch a soccer game on their tv!
dont forget tres leches for your sweet tooth.... oh and walk next door to compare it with the tres leches at la sobrasitas bakery if you dare!

Sam said...

One of my favorite lunch spots, by far. The chicken is the best in town. Check out the burrito platter, it's incredible. I love chicken fiesta's chicken sandwich. Next time get their charcoal roasted chicken.