Thursday, March 19, 2009

NY Strip Dinner

I thoroughly enjoy a NY Strip steak. Rubbed with salt and black pepper. Pan-fried in a combination of olive oil and butter. Always medium-rare leaning towards the rare. This is my steak of choice for home enjoyment.

So, The Fresh Market advertised whole or half NY Strips for $4.99 a pound. Usually, they have only offered whole ones at that price. Yesterday, I salivated at the half ones and bought some NC shrimp instead.

I let my hubby know about the NY Strip special over our shrimp and pasta dinner. I also mentioned that I had found an herb-roasted NY Strip roast recipe on The Fresh Market's website. We both agreed that the price was very good.

Tonight I ventured back to the store and picked up a 6 1/2 pound beauty. The butcher cut off two steaks 1 1/2 inches thick and left the rest for me to roast. $33 seemed very reasonable.
Tonight's most delicious menu consisted of:

Pan-fried NY Strip (one steak that we cut in half - more than enough meat for two)

Baked potatoes with home-grown chives


Roasted fennel (drool, drool, drool)






2001 Pavillion Rouge du Chateau Margaux (slightly tannic, plummy fruit goodness!)




Dinner was simple, but the ingredients were superb and extremely satisfying. It was nice that The Fresh Market offered half NY Strips. I would have never purchased a whole one - way too much meat and I would be hard-pressed to freeze good quality meat. I look forward to trying the roast!



4 comments:

Debra Morgan said...

nice bottle

Janet said...

What a divine dinner!

Anonymous said...

We're happy--there is a Fresh Market over on our side of town now--or will be soon, anyway. It's getting close to opening near Chesterfield Towne Center!

Leslie said...

We just had the best dinner last night, and so simple. Our conversation about the meal went something like this," God how can so few ingredients taste so wonderful." Yay to the new southside Fresh Market!