Thursday, May 31, 2007

Byrd House Bounty

I managed to get myself back over to the Byrd House Farmers’ Market this week. I’m glad I did. And what did I do with this bounty? Well, I’ll tell you. I topped the onions. About half of the green parts were chopped and then placed in the freezer for later use. The rest of the green I froze whole to use as seasoning in stock. The onion part was chopped and sautéed in a little olive oil and a sprinkling of salt until soft. I chopped up the zucchini and added it to the onions along with another sprinkling of salt and fresh ground black pepper about 3-5 minutes before serving. The new red potatoes were quartered and boiled in salted water for about 30 minutes until tender. I drained them and put them back in the potato pot. To the pot I added salt, pepper, a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter, and about a quarter cup of fresh chopped Italian flat leaf parsley and then mixed. The local bounty was served with a pork chop that was sautéed in olive oil. The potatoes were fantastic and I was pleased that I could use the parsley that we had growing in a pot in our backyard. But the star of the show turned out to be the zucchini. Extremely sweet and fresh. It was the best zucchini I had ever eaten. What a difference it makes when one has access to good local produce!

No comments: