Friday, February 20, 2009

Wet or Dry - What's Your Pleasure?

Last Sunday we were running errands near Short Pump and needed to grab lunch. While chains serve their purpose, this was not a chain-type day for us. I finally remembered that Grandpa Eddie's Alabama Ribs and BBQ was right around the corner on Three Chopt. We headed there and expressed our gratitude to nameless gods that the joint was open on Sunday. Business looked a bit slow, but we were warmly welcomed and promptly told that Sunday Happy Hour was from noon until 6 PM which meant $2 beer, house wine, highballs as well as $2 baskets of fried onion straws, fried okra, or smoked kielbasa. We jumped on the straws and ordered iced tea. We were served a heaping basket and took half of them home to reheat and serve with burgers the next day. A happy hour bargain, indeed.

The menu featured a multitude of enticements from sliced eye of round to the pig sandwich (which my hubby enjoyed - a bit messy, but worth it) to the Kansas City's Famous Burnt Ends (The crispy parts of the meat smoked, mixed with sauce, then smoked some more). What intrigued me was the ribs, of course. And unlike all of the other rib places around here, Grandpa gave me a choice: wet or dry? I got the Rib and Wing Basket - 4 smoked wings and 4 dry ribs. The wings were nice and smoked, but the ribs were the stars of the show. Fragrantly smoked with blackened spices. I was able to add my own sauce (not quite NC, but not sweet either, so I was satisfied). Next time I want a rib-off: wet vs. dry to determine the top bone-sucking champion.

While we enjoyed the meal, a family and friends birthday party was in progress and none other than Susan Greenbaum was playing. A totally unexpected and very pleasant surprise.

Ain't serendipity wonderful? And we found it at Grandpa's.

Grandpa Eddie's Alabama BBQ on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Eddie's seems like a random place for live music but they have it pretty regularly. My ex's band, the Velvet Marias, play there on a regular basis. You can't beat live music and good bbq!

Anonymous said...

ooooh! I am new here but will be checking out Grandpa Eddie's sooner, rather than later. thanks for sharing.

BaconGrease said...

I've never been to Grandpa Eddie's but sounds like I have to rectify that situation