Monday, November 20, 2006

Lunch at Chez Foushee

My hubby and I finally had a Friday off where we actually stayed in Richmond. For years I had heard about lunch at Chez Foushee located at the corner of Foushee & Grace, but since it was only open for lunch Monday-Friday, we had never been able to actually experience it. This past Friday, we did. Since I did not know how crowded it would be, I even made reservations. When we arrived we were greeted by a cheery hostess/waitress, but no one asked if we had reserved a table; and since there were plenty of tables, I don’t think reservations are really necessary. Service was not as good as expected. In fact, we had tables around us that got to order before we did. Could it be the fact we were in jeans and not business attire?? Even though we did order a glass of dry rose for lunch?? My other half ordered the Creamy Potato Soup Topped with Cheddar Cheese, Scallions, and Bacon Crumbles to start. He was a tad disappointed. It was thinner than expected and basically bland despite the tasty sounding additions. And although the soup was very hot, the cheese did not readily melt, making us think it was an imitation variety. In the end he thought the soup had just been thrown together and did not have time for the flavors to meld.

Next course – I ordered Steamed Pork and Shrimp Pot Stickers over Mixed Greens topped with Asian Dressing, Sweet Potato Fires, Red Peppers, and Crispy Noodles. The Pot Sticker dough was thin (just how I like it) and the filling was very flavorful leaning more toward pork than shrimp. The Asian dressing seemed to be more for the pot stickers because it was not drizzled over the mixed greens. But the shoestring cut fried sweet potatoes made up for the lack of dressing on the actual salad. A decent light lunch, but I knew around 3 PM I would need a snack. My husband had the Tuna Salad Served with Fresh Fruit and Crackers. Typical tea room fare, and while good, nothing spectacular.

Chez Foushee was a decent place for lunch, but not worth making special plans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chez Foushee is open for dinner on First Fridays. I have to warn you that it is slam-packed when it is nice out, though. We went at the beginning of November, and it was incredible.

One point of note: They are very particular about making their cocktails with fresh ingredients (i.e., the sour mix is not from a supplier, they make it there).

Veron said...

I think our Christmas party is going to be at Chez Foushee