Saturday, January 04, 2014

Supposed Cassoulet

Supposed Cassoulet by pjpink

Supposed Cassoulet a photo by pjpink on Flickr.
When we visited Max's on Broad right after they opened, I was delighted that this Belgium/French establishment featured Cassoulet on the menu. The description stated the following:

Cassoulet - duck leg confit, pork belly, sausage, white beans, fried sage, braised kale

I could not wait to order it. The photo above is what I was served. Sausage, check; kale, check; pork belly, check. A teaspoon of duck confit and two white beans. The rest all carrots, onions, and celery in a soupy broth. So disappointing.

I took most of it home with me, added some tomato paste and served it over pasta the next evening.

Granted, these guys were just opened and I have heard good reports on their other entrees, but if you advertise cassoulet and you list the ingredients, please present something that matches the description.

No comments: