Thursday, December 20, 2012

Another Proper Pie Fan

I actually visited Proper Pie Co. within two weeks of their opening. It's been a while since I jumped on the newest trend. And I chose wisely. Cute place, a line out the door a tad after noon on a Sunday, and a growing dilemma on what to order as I approached the counter.

I decided to try a variety of items, staring with the Sausage Roll made with Sausage Craft goods. Loved the dough. Nice, light, flaky -  dare I say, dreamy. The sausage filling seemed a bit dense and  slightly dry. Both hubby and I craved some kind of sauce. We finally hit upon a bit of Dijon mustard.

We also tried the Chicken and Kumara pie. This pie was unbelievably wonderful. The crust had the right amount of stiffness and flakiness. The chicken and gravy reminded us of a perfect pot pie. The kumara is akin to a sweet potato, but does not have a sweet potato taste, more like a regular potato which added substance and intrigue to this most proper of savory pies. Yummy!

We rounded out our experience with a slice of Lemon Meringue pie. The pie was exceedingly tall with stiff meringue that sported a crunchy top. Not like my Mom's version that was more like spongy foam. I liked the crunchy stuff much better. The filling was interesting. If consumed with the meringue, there was no citrus tartness that I really enjoy in a pie. Very mild. If consumed without the topping, the tartness was just right for me. I liked that I could eat each section together or alone and have differing taste sensations.

All in all. Well done. I'm a fan.

I snapped a number of photos.

Proper Pie Co

Proper Pie counter

Tips

Pie Case

Sausage Roll and Chicken and Kumara Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie

While you are out and about, stop by and experience a Proper Pie for yourself.

No comments: