Sunday, February 19, 2012

Phil's Continental Lounge

I have a confession to make. I've lived in this city for almost 10 years and commuted to work and/or school for many years before that and I had never been to Phil's Continental Lounge. Let the groaning and rolling of the eyes commence. I deserve it.

I finally remedied the situation albeit in the new location. Bright colors of the new building and patio added some cheeriness to the gray day.

Phil's Continental Lounge

We went on a Saturday for lunch and the placed was mobbed! We waited 10-15 minutes for two spots at the bar. I ordered a limeade. And enjoyed it.

Limeade

I ordered the grilled pastrami and Swiss on rye with chips. Delicious and satisfying,

Pastrami and Swiss on Rye

Hubby took a chance on the special - meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans. One may ask why this selection would involve any kind of risk. I'll tell you. The meatloaf was not made by his mom and anytime mashed potatoes are ordered there may be instant (fake) flakes involved. We were pleased to note that the potatoes were real (yeah!). And hubby thought the meatloaf was as close to his mom's as he had come by in the River City. This declaration was truly impressive. First time EVER he had gone gaga over restaurant meatloaf. He had tried many with high hopes. Phil's succeeded.

Meatloaf

While I regret never having been to the original Phil's, I'm glad to have made his acquaintance in the new location. May this be the start of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: