Saturday, September 16, 2006

Girl's Night Out at Kuba Kuba

My friend JW and I used to work together many moons ago. She is now a full-time Mom. We try to go out to eat several times a year to catch up on each other’s lives. One of our favorite places to go when we worked together was Kuba Kuba. A few nights ago we decided to go back to this fondly remembered haunt. Back then JW always ordered the Pesto-Tomato-Jack Melt on Kuban bread ($6.95). And on this night she did not stray. “It melts in your mouth. The bread is crunchy in the right places and soft and gooey in the right places. I also love the fried plantains,” gushed my friend. I, on the other hand, decide to stray from my usual – Kuban Pork sandwich. I opted for the Califorinia Huevos ($7.95). My dish contained two eggs over red beans and Kuban bread topped with Monterey Jack cheese, enchilado sauce, lime sour cream, and a slice of avocado. Not much sour cream, but the enchilado sauce added some heat and spiciness to the beans. And I always appreciate the Kuban bread.

JW wanted dessert (to share) and we both wanted coffee. The only dessert option for the night was Tres Leches Cake ($4.95) – in either vanilla or chocolate. We had never heard of a chocolate version, thus, we ordered it. The cake was very moist with decent chocolate flavor, but maybe not worth the near $5 price tag. The CafĂ© con Leche with sweetened condensed milk is another story, however. At $2.50 for a steaming mug, it’s a bargain. And Kuba Kuba can make a decaf version as well, which suited JW. Sinfully sweet and a great end to our girl’s night out.

No comments: